Today is the last day of classes for this school year. It has been an incredibly fast year. I had learned a lot from all of you. Coming from teaching elementary I really thought the difference would not be that significant. Boy was I wrong but in the best possible way. I read an article from Jason Reynolds a few weeks ago where he gave advice to your generation. Ten things that he wanted you to know. Today as I reflect on the year I have a few things I would like you to know.
- You are all unique and that is perfect. In a world where it is frowned upon to stand out, where some will say it makes you a target I am so incredibly proud of the unique people you are. The barrel racers, the basketball players, the parkour athletes, the sings, the actors and the writers. Hold on to your uniqueness, celebrate it, the world would be a boring place if we all did the same thing.
- Remember to be kind. It is easy to make others feel bad about themselves. DO not take the easy road. Look to celebrate those you interact with, in school and in life. People will remember who you are down the road, in 20 years at a reunion do you want to be the person remember for kindness or cruelty?
- Be Brave. Try new things and explore who you want to be. As you approach High School you will have a lot of big decision to make. Make sure that you take the chances now to find out what you want to do in the future. Remember failure is the first steps to success.
- Read and Write Daily. Give it a try, you will learn a lot about who you are if you give it a chance.
- I am not going anywhere. Remember I am still in the school and happy to talk books, look at writing and just chat if you need it. I might not be teaching you next year but I will still be in your corner.
Just a few little points as my last class watch big hero 6 and others play video games, some are studying for tests and a few are texting on their phone. A perfect little snapshot of the community we are, unique and awesome.
3 thoughts on “To my students”
You sound like an awesome teacher! I’m sure a lot of your students appreciate everything you do. If no has said this I want to make sure to say it. Thank you! I know I don’t know you but from what I read you should like one of those teachers who really cares.
Thanks! That is very kind.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Your dedication to students is noticed and appreciated, Brent! Thank you!